Basketball gears up for season

Jocelyn Perri, Staff Writer

Sports are important to schools to show team leadership, school spirit, and good fellowship. The girls’ basketball team hopes to be an example of all three this season. 

Junior Elisee Okenge has been playing since 7th grade. She said, “I joined the team because I needed an after-school activity to participate in and I wanted to stay active.” 

Coaching is very important when it comes to any sport. The coaches come up with the plays, keep the team in check, and help them show leadership and good sportsmanship. Girls basketball coach Marley Bonilla said, “I chose to coach girls basketball because I enjoyed playing in high school and in college. I wanted to continue to be involved with the sport. The girls on the team this year are all great players and hard workers.”

Sports are all about effort and teamwork. Okenge said, “Last season we tried our hardest, which is all that truly matters, but unfortunately we didn’t win many games but our effort and determination was there.” 

Practices are also just as important as competition. With practice, they learn what works best for them, who works best where, and how to build the confidence a good team has. Okenge said, “Our practice consists of working on our shooting and getting our defense down and also doing some occasional running.”

As of now, there have been no games to predict how the season will turn out but according to Bonilla, “Last year was a struggle due to Covid because we didn’t know if we would be able to play.” Okenge’s opinion on the season is that the turn out this year will be better than last year.