The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Bocce gets the ball rolling

The Unified Bocce Team scrimmaged the York County Special Olympics outdoor bocce team, “The Rolling Stones,” which two Dover Alumni are part of.

The Unified Bocce Team is returning for its third year with the upcoming 2024 season. Bocce assistant coach Justin Oswalt gives insight on how bocce began in Dover Area High School (DAHS). He said, “The bocce team was founded thanks to Mrs. Oswalt and Mrs. Blevins. They connected with local Special Olympics liaisons, involved Mrs. Fasick, and the Athletic Department; our program was established in 2021 thanks to those two.”

The team is coming off of two medal winning years, taking bronze in the county championship in their inaugural season and silver last year. They hope to bring home the gold this season under new head coach Jennifer Miller.

Everyone can play according to Oswalt. “Unified bocce is a sport where people with and without intellectual disabilities play as a team.”

The start of the season begins in January, with players eager to return from last season and some new to the sport. The unified bocce team is all about being happy, having a good time, teamwork and accepting others no matter how different they are from each other, which makes the environment great for anyone who likes sports and togetherness. Assistant coach Justin Oswalt said, “Our main objective is to make sure our kids have the best time out on the court. Whether it’s practice or a match, we try to ensure our players are smiling, laughing, and enjoying themselves while playing bocce.” 

Sophomore Addyson Krug, who played on last year’s team, said, “Being on the bocce team is being part of something bigger. As a whole, there is a feeling of unity, acceptance and being connected to people who might not be in the same social circle as others. We all want the same thing, to be accepted, and the unified bocce team helps foster working as one.” 

To these bocce players it’s not just about winning a game or rank, it’s about valuing everyone for who they are on and off the court. Krug said, “We want our program to remain unified no matter what the outcome is.”