The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Dive into the swim season

The Dover Area High School swimming and diving teams are looking forward to having another successful season with a winning record. A YAIAA Division II title is within reach for both the girls and boys teams. 

The girls record last year was 6-1. Their only loss was a close meet against the YAIAA Division II champions York Suburban. Dover will need to come out of that meet victorious this season to claim the title.

The boys ended with a 5-2 record. The meet against the YAIAA Division II champions Susquehannock will be an exciting, competitive matchup.

To prepare for the competitions Head Coach Ross Spangler says, “We will train between 2-3 hours per day. This includes 6:15 a.m. practices and afternoon practices as well. In the peak of our season, our swimmers will be swimming close to 3-4 miles per day.” A high level of training and dedication are required to meet the team goals. 

The swimmers and divers are also looking forward to putting up personal bests. Captains MaryAlice Craig, Ethan Downey and John Bubb are returning for their senior season. Bubb is excited to “get back in the water and improve from where I left off last season.”

Diver Taylor Tuohy will also be a captain and is returning after placing first at the 2023 PIAA District III Girls competition as well as thirteenth at the PIAA Girls IIIA State Championship. Coming into the 2023-2024 season, she says, “I want to be confident in my dives and that will come with doing more numbers. This year I do not need to focus on learning a lot of new dives, which means I can focus more on the details.” 

The 33rd Annual Dover Eagle Invitation will take place on Saturday. Dec. 2.  The first official meet will be on Tuesday, Dec. 12 at Spring Grove. Come out to support our swimming and diving teams!