The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Where would we be without sport

JACKSONVILLE, FL – OCTOBER 29: Fans cheer as the Georgia Bulldogs take on the Florida Gators at Alltel Stadium on October 29, 2005 in Jacksonville, Florida. Florida defeated Georgia 14-10. (Photo by Doug Benc/Getty Images) (Getty Images NA)

Sports are an integral part of the culture here in the United States. As our country has grown, so has our connection to sports. Around 150 million people attend sporting events in the US, almost half of the United States population. The influence that sports
have here in America can be found pretty much everywhere: large cities, small towns, schools, and more.

Sports influence many aspects of American life: the media we consume, the economy, the armed forces, our families, and even journalism. The image of a child and his parent throwing a baseball is almost burned into the minds of millions of Americans across the country. Many influential movies that went on to gross millions of dollars were centered around sports. Films like Rocky and its sequels, Rudy, Remember the Titans and more.

Families gather for different games: Thanksgiving football, the Super Bowl, the World Cup and others. The United States sports industry made up almost half of the world’s $1.3 trillion in sports profits at around $520 billion.

In many branches of the armed forces, sports are used to pass the time and keep soldiers fit. Sports like airsoft and paintball are used for police training. The branches of the military even compete against each other in games, like the Army-Navy football
game and the Council Military World Games.

Sports journalism is thriving as well. From radio show hosts talking about college football to hosts on ESPN and the variety
of different sports divisions of new broadcasts, sports journalism is alive and well.

Sports can foster rituals and traditions that last generations, lifelong friendships, helpful skills, and important lessons. People from all walks of life encounter sports: professional athletes pushing their bodies to the limits, filmmakers, artists, students, teachers and journalists.