Dress Code Changes get mixed reviews

Jack Cuffaro, Assistant Editor

With the new school year, the administration has recently introduced a new dress code policy. The first week of school consisted of administrators meeting with each grade level to review what is expected. 

Sophomore Ava Milanoh doesn’t think the new dress code is that different from the old one. She said, “This dress code is not standard. If it was then any sort of clothing would be allowed, no matter the size of one’s midriff.”

Assistant principal Michael Kromka considers the dress code more universal. He said, “The dress code was written to address student attire in a way that is not based on gender, so I would say that it is more directed toward all students.”

Students’ biggest concern has been the objection to midriffs and more specifically, the clear statement by administration that a shirt must meet the waistband of pants. Female students feel that this new policy is depriving them, and only them, of their ability to express themselves. Milanoh said, “The new policy has more of an impact on women. Speaking from experience, I’ve recently had to buy hundreds of dollars for new shirts, just so I could be seated in school.”

Male students recognize the struggles of their female counterparts as well. Freshman Gavin Wintermyer said, “I’m going to wear whatever, so it’s not a big deal to me, but it’s more of a problem for girls.”

The dress code can change from year to year. Kromka said, “While we consider potential changes each year, there are no dress code changes that are planned at this time.  I encourage everyone to review the “dress and grooming” section of the student handbook so that you are aware of expectations.”