The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Talon’s Touch takes off

Dover Area High School just started a new Literature Magazine Club. The club held its first meeting on Dec. 12 and has two teacher advisors, art instructor Lisa Karras and English instructor Barbara Lomenzo.

Students were the driving force behind the getting the club started. Senior Gracie Yerges plays a part in the Literature Magazine Club as editor of literary submissions. She said, “We had talked about starting it a little bit last year, but we never got around to actually starting it. Jack (Cuffaro) texted me to let me know about the meeting and when it was. I wanted to join because I have always been interested in writing, more specifically creative writing, and my brother is part of the literary magazine at York College, so it made me more interested.” 

Karras gives an insight on how the club is operating right now. We had “10 students at the first meeting. Students volunteered due to interest. We will put it on announcements soon.”

This club will have a lot of benefits for students who are talented in the humanities. Lomenzo said, “My hope is that we have a place to celebrate the humanities in our school (writing, art, and possibly music).  I hope students feel like our school has a place that showcases their talents, and in that, encourages others to do the same.  There’s a sort of “family” that grows because of writing, reading, art, and music.  I’d like to foster a community of creativity in our school. ”

The literary magazine is a good opportunity for self expression. Karras said, “Students will be able to express themselves artistically.” 

If you have any interest in joining, listen to the announcements for information about future meetings.