The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mini-Thon Makes a Difference

Mini-THON members canned a total of $673.78 for the kids.

The past 10 years Dover Area High School has hosted a Mini-Thon event, with different activities, prizes, fundraisers and more.

Senior Allison Albin is one of the captains for this year’s Mini Thon. Albin said, “I knew going into Mini-Thon that it was for such a good cause and it will go to helping kids/families that need it. You can learn that even small acts of kindness can help so many people whether that’s with medical bills, medicines, or any other things they may need. In Mini Thon you can learn lots of life lessons and other good things.”

Planning a big event such as Mini-Thon takes a lot of work, which cannot be done by a few people; it takes a lot of people to create a successful event. Albin said, “After joining Mini-Thon, I learned how crucial it is to work in a team.”

Since Mini-Thon is such a big deal to families and friends, it is really important that the job gets done right. History teacher Teri Marlowe is a co-advisor for Mini-Thon. She was ready to get involved and took this opportunity to join Mini-Thon. Marlowe said,“I went to Penn State and was involved there, and it only seemed right to continue to help at Dover too! Also, in my opinion, the Four Diamonds Fund is one of the best causes to get involved in.”

As you can see, the Four Diamonds Fund is an organization that has the goal of supporting children and their families in the fight against childhood cancer. They raise millions of dollars each year. If you’ve had your mind set on joining a club or organization, Mini-Thon should definitely be on your list!

Marlowe said, “If a student is interested in getting involved they can ask a student who is part of Mini-THON, a teacher such as myself, Mrs. Blevins, Ms. Snyder or Mrs. Kress. They can also check out the announcements…or go to our social media page!”