The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Dover Families in Giving Spirit

The Spirit of Giving is a program at Dover Area School District (DAHS) that matches families in need with a family sponsor to buy gifts for the holidays. School counselor Mark Miller helps orchestrate the Spirit of Giving which was started by Margaret Mayberry, the former counselor at the middle school.

This program has been going on for three years. Miller is proud to be part of the Dover community. “It makes me proud to be a small part of connecting Dover residents to support each other, and it makes me proud to be a part of this community as well.”

School social worker Amelia Warntz said, “Currently we have 40+ students/families who are considered homeless.” These students have had their homes taken away from them. They are living with family members or friends and even shelters and hotels. “Spirit of Giving helps ensure that students receive some small gifts,” she said.

This year there were over 20 families that put in requests for gifts. There were over 30 people who signed up to provide gifts. Warntz said, “I am always impressed with the Dover community. It is a very giving community, and so many people want to help.” 

This is truly a great cause to make school children’s holidays a little better. There are more people trying to give than there are people that need help. Miller says, “Everything is very anonymous so nobody knows the family in need and nobody knows the donors.”

The chances are families who are homeless probably aren’t going to be able to buy their children gifts to open on Christmas Day. Wartnz wants people to try to understand why this program is helpful. “Imagine waking up on the morning of a holiday like Christmas and just not having even one gift to open or a nice holiday meal to eat”.

“The Spirit of Giving is really wonderful,” Warntz  said. She believes that it is a great program that helps lots of the families in the district. “Those who don’t have the funds to buy gifts or a holiday meal still get to experience a little bit of holiday magic.”