Why Dover needs an LGBTQ+ club

Allison Harris, Staff Writer

Years ago, the high school had a Gay-Straight Alliance club, which is a club uniting LGBTQ+ members and straight allies. However, the club got shut down for an unknown reason. Students at Dover—both part of the LGBTQ+ community and not—are in need of a club to unite students.

Junior Naomi Drummer expresses her belief that Dover needs a place for LGBTQ+ students: ‘‘We need one because there’s already enough people who feel excluded. Not everyone feels welcomed in this school and they’re not comfortable to be themselves at school because they don’t have a place. We need open so kids feel more accepted. What if they’re not accepted at home? No one is supporting them, we need to support our kids”. It is important for the students who are a part of the community and that need a space to express themselves and be who they are. A majority of the students in the community do not have a form of support system at home. Having this club would give them that chance and could even improve their mental health.

Other local schools have LGBTQ+ clubs, Gay-Straight Alliances, Gender-Sexualities Alliances, Rainbow Clubs, and Diversity Clubs. Some also have assemblies to talk about how you should respect both people that are a part of the LGBTQ+ community, and everyone in general. Another anonymous student states, ‘‘I think we need [an LGBTQ+ club] because there needs to be a cultural shift in terms of homophobia and transphobia and general tolerance of others. I’ve heard so many people speak about the LGBTQ+ community in negative terms and I’ve lost track of all the slurs I’ve heard around the district, which I think stems from the fact that people are ignorant about the topic. I think that a club would be a good place for students  to be where they don’t have to worry about being judged by others”.

Having an LGBTQ+ club at Dover could help us shed our reputation as close-minded: this club would be a show of support for members of the LGBTQ+ community which would yield positive results. As senior Margaret Mailey put it, “Providing the option of a club that would meet during school hours is going to help the community at Dover be able to better support each other”.