The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A apple (not an orange) a day

The debate is over
Bowl of multi colored apples on a table during the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah (New Year), September 21, 2017. In the Jewish religion, apples are eaten on Rosh Hashanah to symbolize the sweetness of the coming year. (Photo via Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images). (Getty Images)

Apples are a much better than oranges. For one reason, there are many different types of apples that you can choose from. You have the tart Granny Smith, the sweet Honeycrisp, and everything in between. Oranges, on the other hand, are pretty much stuck in the sweet and citrusy zone.

When it comes to health, apples are filled with vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber, which are all essential for a balanced diet. While oranges do have vitamin C, apples bring a whole bunch of other nutrients to the table.

Not only are apples good, but they are also super convenient. They are easy to carry around, they don’t spoil as quickly as oranges, and they are good for snacking or adding to recipes. Additionally they are like the chameleons of the fruit world, adapting to different climates and growing in various regions. Oranges, on the other hand, need those tropical vibes.

Apples come in a variety of colors, each adding its own character. You’ve got the classic Red Delicious, which shine brightly and are often associated with health and vitality. Then there are the green apples, like the Granny Smith, which have a vibrant hue that hints at their tart flavor. The yellow apples, like Golden Delicious, have a warm and inviting color that matches their sweet taste.

Apples have been featured in countless stories and art pieces, symbolizing knowledge, health, and even forbidden temptations. Oranges just can’t compete with that kind of symbolism.

Last but not least, apples are a chef’s best friend. They can be used in salads, pies, sauces, and so many more dishes. Oranges, while they have their place, just don’t offer the same versatility in the kitchen.