The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Teen driving a potential risk

circa 1950: Studio portrait of a young man sleeping at a steering wheel. (Photo by Lambert/Getty Images) (Getty Images)

In Pennsylvania the DMV age of testing is 16 years old. For minors of that age, being behind the wheel is dangerous.

The amount of times some drivers in the making fail more than once is scary. If a driver fails their test once or damages anything, they should have their permit revoked.

Some new drivers don’t know the law of roads. They just barely passed the test. That should be a sign most aren’t ready for the roads.  

Crashes happen a lot to new drivers. In 2022, drivers aged 16-20 crashed a total of 21,491 times. They are the second highest age group of crashes.

It comes down to maturity. Some drivers just don’t have the maturity level to be allowed behind the wheel. If you can’t act like an adult, you shouldn’t be treated like one.

Young drivers might try and act funny, such as swerving for the giggles of it, which could then turn around and cause a large scale crash. 

Drug use among teens is also a major factor. If they are taking some type of drug or non prescribed medication, their focus may shift from the task that is important, driving safely.

There are many things you need to think about when you set the rules for a driving permit test. Perhaps our rules need to be revisited.