The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior soccer all-star game played

Girls Soccer Senior All-Stars Taylor Steininger, Shaylee Shimmel, and Emma Coble.

A few of the Dover girls soccer seniors played their last game of their high school career in the Senior All Star Soccer Game. Coach Matthew Spahr talked about how the girls were selected to play in the game.

He said that each team in the league was able to send two players to the game. They are selected by what player has the most votes during the division all league team meeting. This year they had a third player. Spahr said they were “lucky enough to have a third player, who was the third top vote.”

Spahr compared the girls playing in the regular season and in the all star game and said, “I thought each of our seniors played very similarly to how they would’ve played each game for us.” He believed their performance in the game was good, he said, “I thought each of the girls played well and represented our program and themselves well. They displayed the talent and ability that they showed consistently as a player here at Dover”. 

Senior Taylor Steininger’s thoughts going into the game were that, “It was going to be fun playing with and against some of the girls I’ve played with my whole life one last time.”

Talking about how she played individually, Steininger said, “I played well, I had two assists but it was really just fun playing with the girls I haven’t gotten to play with in a long time.” 

Spahr shared the sentimental feelings about watching the seniors play their last game after coaching them since sixth grade and being in their lives since they were eight years old. Spahr said, “It was honestly both gratifying and heart breaking.”

Spahr also said, “It was sad to see their careers come to an end, but it was fitting that it ended at an All Star game for Taylor, Emma, and Shaylee, who have represented the best of our program for years!”