The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

College: is it worth the money?

Graduation mortar board cap on one hundred dollar bills concept for the cost of a college and university education (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

College can be a key to social status. Although, it can be a resource and a good thing, it can also be detrimental to your future financial state. Though there are a plethora of financial aid and scholarship options you can apply for even with financial aid and scholarships, one may still be paying off college loans after they graduate, far into adult life.

I know people that are far into adulthood still paying student loans and claim that college isn’t even worth it. To get a job that pays enough money to pay back your student loans you need a degree, which I think isn’t fair for the people that are not as financially stable as others.

If you go to college and get a good job, your hard work would pay off eventually, but the financial debt you end up in, isn’t worth it. The average amount for college debt in the United States is $40,000. This is an absurd amount of money for families that cannot afford to pay for college along with bills, children’s expenses and more. Families that have a recent death or a cancer diagnosis, do get extra benefits to help with the cost, but those extra benefits wouldn’t be necessary if college expenses were actually affordable.

While you may learn helpful things in college and take classes specialized for the work field you want to go into, many people after college use their experience as a social status. I believe a degree can also hold social power. People that have graduated from college with a degree usually get better jobs than those who didn’t. People that have a degree are seen as better in society, but it’s not someone’s fault if they can’t afford college because it’s so expensive.

While college may be good for you to get experience before going into the workforce, it is very difficult for people who may not have a lot of money, to go through college and get that same experience as others because college is so unnecessarily expensive.