Dover DECA shines at states

Riley Mulder, Sports Editor

Dover DECA has made it to states for the sixth year in a row as a chapter! States is held in Hershey at the Hershey Lodge, and 31 students attended it this year. What is DECA? “DECA is an organization which prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe through educational activities, service to our community, conferences, and competitions, says advisor Loni Kress. 

This year, Dover DECA was very successful. This year’s international competition is in Nashville, Tennessee. Individually, Brooke Wiley and Zoe Nahum won 1st Place in Buying & Merchandising Operations Research, which qualified for Nashville. Collin Maute and Owen Kennell won 4th Place in Sports & Entertainment Marketing Team, they qualified for Nashville, Paige Lantz and Anisa Natal won 3rd Place in Chapter Awards, Marley Leiphart, Madalyn Smyser, Naomi Smith, and Hannah Hayes won 3rd Place in Chapter Banner. David Patterson won 5th Place in Male Modeling, David Patterson, Isaiah Hogue, and Joseph Hogue won Gold Level Re-Certification for our School Based Enterprise, and that qualified for Nashville as well. 

Most of the students enjoyed the DECA states experience this year even though it was the first time going for some. The best part was “definitely the time spent with friends and meeting new people,” says junior Kayla King, a first year member. She plans to stay in the group and hopes to attend states again next year. 

Dover DECA began in 2014 with 11 members building the club’s foundation. In the year 2015-2016, the group grew so significantly, they won an award for the highest membership in PA DECA. That same year, they had students that qualified as finalists for the International Business Growth Plant Event. Dover’s DECA program seems to be keeping up their hard work, resulting in great achievements. 

The students involved with DECA here at Dover say it’s a lot of fun, and they would recommend others to join. Junior Cole Brickley says, “the states experience this year was an absolute blast. It was the most fun I’ve had at a school function, ever.” They enjoy competing along with enjoying each other and plan to continue their DECA career.

Group photo of DECA with trophies
Loni Kress
Dover DECA shows off awards earned at state competition