Shaffer offers safety as SRO

Bradley Harriss, Staff writer

Officer Andrew Shaffer is the current school resource officer (SRO) after long-time SRO Mark Allen’s retirement last year.

Shaffer makes keeping students safe his top priority.“No matter what the event would be, I would make sure that I would be the first person in harm’s way to stop whatever may be occurring.”  

He didn’t initially want to be a police officer. Shaffer thought his future career was the military, but unfortunately due to sports injuries in college he wasn’t able to join. He chose the next best thing and joined the police force and is now serving and protecting the community of Dover. 

Shaffer’s police career began as a patrol officer for four years. Then a position opened to be a school resource officer, and he immediately jumped on the opportunity. Shaffer began his SRO career in the middle school for three years. “I feel that working with the youth in our society is very rewarding.” 

All jobs come with hardship and being a police officer is no easy task. Especially when dealing with students everyday. Shaffer said, “The hardest part about my job here is watching kids make some of the same mistakes I made when I was in school. I pride myself on trying to educate students on how to make positive choices and how to be a leader. If I can encourage students to understand the decisions they are making, it is a win win for everyone in the school.” 

Shaffer brings not only safety to Dover but a positive attitude. “He brings a lot of encouragement, excitement, and all around he makes everyone’s mood better,” said sophomore Nathan Cooper.

The students of Dover can feel safer and grateful knowing that Shaffer is here to not only keep everyone in the building safe but succeed in life.