Winter Sports: Meet the Teams Night

Jayden Jackson, Staff Writer

The winter sports “Meet the Teams” night occurred Dec. 1. The event was held at Dover Area High School from 6:30-8 p.m. in the gymnasium. The Director of Athletics and Students Activities Dr. Troy Wiestling hosted this event alongside Assistant Athletic Director/Athletic Trainer David App. 

Wiestling stated, “Student athletes are organized by their teams and they sit together in the gym stands, and the Head Coaches are seated together on the gym floor, and individually announce the team members and make comments from a podium to highlight the student athletes and upcoming season.”

This event is very important to the teams. It gives team members and coaches a chance to sit down together and have a chance to “officially” meet one another. 

Wiestling stated, “The PIAA Winter Season officially began on Friday, November 19, 2021. Teams began practice sessions. Scrimmages were permitted to begin on November 26th and games can begin on December 10th.” 

For winter sports, there is a decent selection of sports to choose from including basketball, cheerleading, swimming and diving and wrestling.

There are many different reasons kids choose to go into sports. Whether it’s because they just find sports fun, they want to be more fit/active, or because they want to do something as an after school activity. One common reason for kids to join sports is because they like playing games that are fun. Junior basketball player Elisee Okenge said, “I play basketball because I need an after school activity and find a way to stay active.”