Leiphart looks to make “super” finish

Dylan Dawson, Sports Editor

Dover wrestling recently wrapped up their regular season campaign, and although it wasn’t as solid of a year as usual for the Eagles, many things stayed consistent within the team; Mason Leiphart’s performance was one of them. Leiphart has always been slotted in the top section of his weight class, putting up nearly spotless records every year.

Leiphart says that Dover’s down year was understandable due to the circumstances, but getting all of the inexperienced wrestlers considerable time on the mat will pay dividends to Dover’s wrestling squad down the road; “I wouldn’t say that this was a bad season for Dover, but we didn’t win a lot of matches, even though it wasn’t the best season, I like to think it’s because it was a building year for us. The team had a lot of wrestlers who have never wrestled a high school match before, and we suffered from injuries and forfeits which accounted for a few of our losses as a team.”

Leiphart, the Eagles’ junior wrestler is currently 20-1 on his personal season and isn’t looking to stop there. Leiphart heads to Altoona, PA this Saturday to compete in the Super Regional Tournament. “As for the Super Regional, I’d like to win two matches because that would mean I placed somewhere in the top four, and could move on to the medal round of states.”

This year was Leiphart’s third consecutive 2nd-place finish at Regionals, and his loss in the title match was his first on the season. He’s 87-9 overall in his career. He’ll look to continue his high level of success this weekend in Altoona.