The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Dover Mini-Thon Ready to Take off

Dover Area High School is working with the Four Diamonds program once again to host this year’s “Decades” themed Mini-Thon that will be held from 7 p.m. on Saturday, April 13 to 7 a.m. Sunday, April 14.

According to Mini-THON coordinator Teri Marlowe there are more ways than ever for students to be a part of it. Depending on how involved a student would like to be, they could be a part of planning the event itself or the fundraising side of things.

This year there are a lot of fundraising events planned. There are a few restaurant nights, including places like MOD Pizza and Chipotle, where they will donate a fraction of their proceeds to help reach the goal. The goal this year is higher than ever before at $50,000. Marlowe is hopeful that we will exceed this goal with the fundraising events and the students attending.     

Senior Savannah Williar has been a big part of planning Mini-Thon this year. Williar says, “Helping to plan Mini-Thon this year has taught me the importance of relying on other people.”

Junior Bailey Moul attended the Mini-THON Leadership Summit over the summer to start the planning process. She says “I learned about fundraising and marketing strategies from other schools that explained their strengths and weaknesses from the Mini-THON’s they have planned and put together at their own school!” Moul adds that she thinks it is a great way for students to engage with the community as well as other students.

William says “All of our committees hold equally important roles, and I can’t wait to see what we all accomplish together.” Williar adds that “The premise of having to stand for all twelve hours is to experience a very small sliver of the struggle that kids with cancer experience.”             

If a student participates in Mini-THON, it will grant students 20 hours of community service which exceeds the graduation requirement which was recently lowered to 10 hours. Any questions can be directed to Marlowe at [email protected]