Grand openings planned for middle and high schools

Paris Dugan, Sports Editor

It is finally time for the community to celebrate the $65 billion project that recently happened here at Dover. On October 20, 2021 there will be two grand openings: the first one will be for the $8 million renovation of Dover Area Middle School and the second one will unveil the new Dover Area High School building. The middle school grand opening will be held at 11 A.M. The high school grand opening will be at 1 PM. 

The high school is the first new school building to have been built since North Salem Elementary, which was built over twenty years ago. The grand opening will highlight the building’s features and give the community an opportunity to participate in student-led tours of the facilities. Mr. Chuck Benton, the Director of Career and Technical Education, said there will be three ribbon cuttings at the high school: “one ribbon cutting outside the building, one in front of the red zone, and one in front of the bank with 15 minute separations.” 

Though the high school and middle school were both opened last year, there were delays that affected the grand openings. In addition to covid delays, Benton said, “getting the pool done also slowed the process down.”

Benton said that the community can expect, “open houses, a chance to see the school store, the school bank will be open, and the band will be performing as well. We’re still finalizing who will be there.” 

The open house committee consists of high school principal Mrs. Jennifer Fasick, middle school principal Mrs. Tuesday Hufnagel, director of facilities Mr. David Nelson, members of the school board, the York Economic Alliance, and others.