Career Day attempts to prepare students for adulthood

Makensie Husson, Staff Writer

On March 5, 2020, Dover Area High School held a Career Day. The event was for juniors to get more of an understanding of adulthood. Some courses offered through this day were Life Hacks, How to Pay for College, and Smart Money. Those courses related to saving money during college, expressing how the college billing process works, and how to use certain tools while you’re spending money. 

Junior Aaliyah Matthews said, “My favorite lesson was the NCCA lesson with Dr. Weistling because I actually learned things that didn’t all have to do with money and could help me a lot if I do decide to play volleyball in college.” A lot of students chose to take this course because sports are a big part of their lives. 

Career day was meant to be helpful for juniors who had no idea what to expect for adulthood, college, or work. When courses fell short, it caused frustration. Junior Max Elliot expressed,“I was under the impression that taking a college budgeting class would help me understand how college budgeting works, as the title entailed, but we talked about how to buy a car instead.”

A lot of students counted on these presentations to help get more of an understanding of the real world. That being said, there is room for the program to improve. Junior Brooke Berkheimer emphasized, “I wish we had a better description of the course options and maybe even names of the speakers. I also didn’t know where room numbers were which made switching to the next lesson difficult.”