The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Miller makes his mark

Sophomore Nathan Miller, a two sport athlete at Dover Area High School, has been balancing soccer, football and school for the past two years.

In Miller’s two years playing high school football as a kicker he had kicking records of 32/37  and 27/36. Miller played a total of 11 football games in his sophomore year and 12 football games in his freshman year.

Miller’s second year playing high school soccer included one goal and six assists. As a freshman he had two goals and nine assists. He played a total of 16 soccer games his sophomore year and a total of 18 soccer games in his freshman year.

Boys Soccer Coach Derek Kline said, “Nathan Miller has been playing club soccer for many years. His club team competes at a high skill level against very strong opponents.”

Miller said, “I have been playing soccer since I was five, and started playing football in eighth grade. Since I was a kid I was always attracted to soccer. I started in Soccer Shots and never looked back.”

Kline sees Miller as a leader and values his experience. He said, “I feel Nathan brings that experience back to Dover, where many players start playing in middle school and lack that background.”

Senior safety Rylan Griffin says, “Nathan brings a bigger part than people think because he could decide games… if he misses a field goal it drops team morale and could cost a close game.”

Griffin likes playing with Miller. He said, ”Nathan is easy to get along with and makes his kicks, so he’s a good player.”

Miller recognizes the challenge of playing two sports in the same season. He said, “Playing two different sports in one season is definitely a hard balance. Having double practices and four games a week is a challenge, but it’s all worth it in the end.”

Miller isn’t sure what he wants to when he’s no longer an Eagle. He said, “My goals for both sports is to make it to college. I would rather go to a small school as a soccer player and a big school as a football player. However, any offer anywhere would meet my goals.”