The Student News Site of Dover Area High School

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Dover Dispatch

Polls

Which pet is better?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Much ado about Abdou

This year Dover Area High School has a foreign exchange student from Brazil, senior Julia Abdou. She is being hosted by senior Megan Yiengst and her family.

According to Abdou, the United States can be creative compared to what she is used to. “The United States sometimes impresses me with its creativity when it comes to fried foods, as well as how practical things are here and of course the weather. Brazil is much warmer and we don’t have snow.” Although the temperature will be different, currently she is not bothered by the warm weather as it is something she is used to.

Yiengst was not quite sure what to expect when it came to hosting a student. “I think in this situation it is much easier to host her than I expected. She is very outgoing and pretty easy to communicate with considering her practice with English.” Abdou’s English is very good because she took an extensive amount of English classes.

Yiengst’s family is easily adapting to having Julia around. “She fits into our family very well. I appreciate having a sister and just someone to be around… My parents appreciate the differences between us.” Although they were originally concerned she might be shy or uncomfortable, her outgoing personality made it easier for all of them to adjust to the change.

Abdou is slowly getting more accustomed to the new environment and feeling more comfortable. “In the first few days, a lot of questions went through my head, whether I would fit in or the number of things that could happen while you’re not at home, but as you get to know the people around you and the different views, everything starts to get more interesting, fun and each time you feel more ‘at home’.”

Being far away from your home can be unsettling for people, but for Abdou, she seems to be getting along fine.