Zito Commits to Towson

Joey Zito signs his National Letter of Intent to continue his academic and athletic career at Townson University.

Bradley Harriss, Staff Writer

Senior Joseph Zito recently had one of the biggest accomplishments a high school student could dream of. He committed to Towson to pursue his baseball career.

Zito is currently the starting pitcher for Dover, however, his high school baseball career started being cut not once, but twice from the JV team. He never gave up and never let that stop him. It motivated him; he said, “I wanted to prove them all wrong.”

Zito started playing sports at the age of six. He played football but eventually switched to baseball. “Actually when I was younger I played all sports. I honestly thought my sport was going to be football when I got older, but eventually I fell in love with baseball.”

Zito committed to Towson but had offers from other big SEC schools. He chose Towson because they gave him more money, and he will be their ace his freshman year or starting pitcher.

Zito hopes to take his career even further than college and play in the MLB. He has a real shot at accomplishing his dream. He said, “I would love the chance to play in the MLB, it’s all a number if I go out in the spring and hit 93. I think I have a good chance of getting a lot of pro looks.”

He has the drive and motivation to take his talents to the MLB. “I love going out and competing and pushing myself to the limit,” he said.

Zito’s coach also believes in him and thinks he has what it takes to make the MLB. Head coach John McDonald thinks Zito is a good individual player but also a team player. McDonald said, “Joe will pick up any teammate who is having an off day at practice or game.”