Yearbook Gets New Management

Savanah Dawson, Staff Writer

After 30 years, former yearbook advisor Douglas Hoover has retired his position and handed it over to his social studies department colleague Emily Miller. Miller took over the yearbook because, “It seemed like a fun challenge and I think it’s important for students to have a lasting record of their high school years.” The curriculum will remain the same, but students are the ones who come up with most of the ideas in the class, so things will be different due to that reason.

The change in teachers also means changes in thought from the students. Senior Briana Oliver said, “When I first started taking the class I was definitely nervous about how the yearbook would turn out since Mr. Hoover has done it for the past 30 years. But now I feel that Mrs. Miller has been doing a very good job at organizing and executing the ideas being made for the yearbook, and I’m confident that the yearbook will turn out just fine.” 

Yearbook is a great opportunity for any student to use their creativity and imagination. They’re able to utilize skills from art, graphic design, and writing. Oliver stated that, “My favorite part of the class is being able to go throughout the school and different classrooms to see different students and teachers interact. It’s nice having students that like to participate and show school spirit as we take fun, creative pictures of them.” 

Being a part of yearbook is important to the school and community because it’s a way for the students and staff to come together and create something each year to remember their class. Each yearbook is different and that is what makes it special. Miller taking over is an opportunity for new thoughts and ideas to emerge, and for students to continue to contribute to remember their classmates forever.