Eagles are Glowing Gold for Ryan’s Hope

Dover Cheer wears Ryan’s Hope shirt on the night of the Gold Out game to show support.

Jack Cuffaro, Assistant Editor

The Eagle stadium recently went gold for a cause. The “Gold Out” game was to spread community awareness of Ryan’s Hope, a non-profit, charitable organization devoted to improving the lives of pediatric cancer patients and their families, created in memory of Ryan Arnold and his family who were deeply affected by Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG). 

Senior DECA member Gemma Galligani said, “The gold out game was to raise money for Ryan’s Hope while participating in football spirit.” Shirts were made that students could buy to help support the cause. The main goal was to fill the student section with gold and show DIPG researchers that people are serious about finding a cure.

Dover DECA picks a charity to support through its Community Giving Project every year. The charity is selected by the students and often has a personal connection with someone in the district. Dover DECA & The Red Zone School Store Advisor Loni Kress said, “Ryan, whom Ryan’s Hope is named after, is the cousin of Dover DECA President and Project Leader (senior) Madalyn Smyser.”

Everyone who showed up that night in gold was not only supporting Ryan and his family but all the other families in the same situation.