Don’t Hate “The Hate You Give”

Denise Paz-Guerrero, Opinion Editor

Angie Thomas’ novel, The Hate You Give, sheds light on police brutality, racism, and the devastating effects poverty has on the lives of children and teenagers.

Starr, a 16-year-old African-American girl, is the protagonist of the story. Starr grew up in Garden Heights, a dangerous neighborhood with several issues, including gang violence and the abuse of drugs. Due to these conditions, Starr’s parents move Starr and her siblings to a safer school. The majority of the students at this school are white, but Starr does her best to fit in. She makes several friends and plays on the school’s basketball team. However, at times, Starr feels the need to hide her “black personality,” so others will not think of her as “ghetto.” Starr separates her two worlds: Garden Heights and her “white school.”

Unfortunately, the novel takes a turn for the worse when Starr witnesses the cruel murder of her childhood best friend Khalil. An officer unjustly kills Khalil thinking Khalil carried a gun. However, the reader learns that the “gun” was actually a hairbrush. Starr does not take this well, but is told by family members that she needs to continue to live her life. Her family supports her, but losing a best friend is certainly a lot for her to deal with. The murder is spread all over the country and internet. Tragically, Khalil’s death is justified with the idea that he sold drugs and was a part of a gang. People are rightfully angry and demand justice for Khalil.

This book is controversial for the violence that is described, the usage of drugs, the foul language, and the ideas presented. However, this book should be read by all. It is important that everyone understands how real these issues are. These problems need to be said, otherwise, what kind of change do individuals expect?

Lastly, there was a powerful acronym in the story: “THUG LIFE”. This stands for: “The Hate U Give Little Infants F**** Everybody.” This was said by rapper Tupac. It is very honest and uncomfortable to discuss. Innocent children of color deserve affection and care just as much as white children. How can mistreated children grow up to their full potential if society neglects and rejects them from the second they breathe oxygen? What future can we expect as a society if the future are those same neglected children?