Lady Eagles look forward to successful season

Claire Matz, Assistant Editor

Fall sports are in full swing here at Dover Area High School, and the girls’ soccer team is hoping to make its season a memorable one. Head coach and science teacher Matthew Spahr said, “Honestly, I expect to be competitive in every game we play and contend for both county and district playoffs. We will need to improve in a few areas to make those goals a reality, but I believe we have the talent and ability to make both possible!” 

Spahr also gave his opinion on the girls this year. “Despite all the talk of winning, this has been one of my favorite groups to work with.  They are fun, energetic, and most of all challenge me every day. They deserve to have success, and whether that means through wins and losses or not, we set out to give them the best experience we can as soccer players and to teach and push them at the highest level!” 

Spahr and the team are also excited about their upcoming senior night on Monday, October 10 against Central Dauphin East. Senior Marleigh Fetrow said, “I am looking forward to senior night because it is where I can reflect on all my years of soccer. Where it will be sad, and I will cry a lot, I think it will be a good time with five other girls that I have played soccer alongside.” 

Fetrow said the end of her high school career is bittersweet. “I am not very excited about this being my last year playing for Dover… I have loved each and every year I have played, so graduating and being done playing is definitely sad.”