Dover stages production of Les Miserables

Allison Harris, Staff Writer

This year, Dover Drama Department is performing the musical Les Miserables. This is Dover’s second production of this show—the first was in 2010, under the direction of Jaci Keagy, who has since retired. Mrs. Brandstadter, the show’s current  director, chose Les Miserables again because “the show is iconic. It is a show that is timeless, but it is heavy—a show that will have to be done once a decade. It was a perfect moment to do it.” 

Some argue that the most difficult thing about theatre is casting. When asked how casting played out, Brandstadter responded with the obvious: “As much as you make someone’s day with casting you break other people’s hearts, which is really hard to deal with.” She also added on how strong and connected the cast is: “The cast is very talented; they never settle with casting. There are always strong and talented people.” 

The preview performances are scheduled to take place during assemblies on Monday, March 2nd, and Tuesday, March 3rd. These performances are for intermediate and high school students, respectively, and encourage students to come watch the performance and support their peers. Mrs.Brandstadter has high hopes for all of the performances. 

Shows are Friday, March 6th, at 7:00 pm; Saturday, March 7th, at 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm; and Sunday, March 8th, at 2:00 pm. Tickets are $10 for adults, and $7 for students and senior citizens.