Tice says students the best part of teaching

Mira Mabe, Staff Writer

Teachers are a vital part of the world we live in; they shape the children of the future. Middle school ELA teacher Ashley Tice takes that role seriously. Tice says, “This sounds cliché, but the students are the best part of my job. To see their little “aha” moments click means that I am reaching them. If I can teach my students anything about life beyond my subject content, I will succeed with them.” 

Everything has its ups and downs, even teaching. Tice believes the hardest part of teaching is, “not being able to connect with students and to make an impact on them. Some students have pretty big walls built up around them, and I try to break through as best as I can. There are times when I am unsuccessful no matter how hard I try, and that’s tough.” 

Nevertheless, Tice has a passion for teaching. “I love to work with my students and I love my content. I have always wanted to be a teacher since I was a little girl, so this is all I have ever wanted.” 

Tice also shows her passion for connecting with students by prioritizing them over homework. Homework is certainly the biggest complaint about school, so Tice tries her best not to give it. “I try not to assign homework over the weekend. Also, I try to allow students to begin any assignments in class in case they have questions or need clarification from me. Usually, my homework is for students to finish something that they started in class with me.” 

Tice believe the secret to success is “energy, attention, and focus.” She says, “If I do not give these every day, I am not going to be the most successful in my classroom.”