DECA goes pro

Jasiah Mitchell, Staff Writer

On Nov. 8, Dover Area High School’s Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) took its annual visit to the Wells Fargo Center to cheer on the Philadelphia 76ers. 

Seniors Niya Allen and Brooke Bowman were among the DECA members at the game, with Bowman stating, “In my opinion, the trip was very fun and educational, and it taught me a lot about building a business while allowing me to work with peers.” Allen had similar things to say, stating that not only was the trip a fun experience for all, but also “very educational, as I was able to learn more about the sports and entertainment business.”

When asked about what they felt the best part of their trip was, Allen responded “It was definitely being able to watch the 76ers play, as well as touring the Eagles Stadium. The energy during the game was incredible and it was enjoyable to cheer along with everyone else in the crowd when a player made a great play.” Indeed, this is the first time DECA has been able to visit the 76s in nearly two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, introducing not one, but two new generations of freshmen and sophomores to the experience. 

Bowman, who went on the trip previously, said, “I wanted to experience it again after I went my sophomore year. It’s fun and you get to watch a game and tour a stadium while also learning about business at the same time.”

Allen said that she wanted to go “because the career panel of 76ers employees provide valuable information that can aid in my success once I enter my desired career.”

It seems that, buried within the fanfare and fun that comes with an NBA game, the advice the DECA members received through the experience can be applied to any profession, and might prove to be extremely beneficial as they move throughout their careers.