Sidewalk motivation sponsored by unity committee

John Bubb, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Oct. 26, the Dover Area High School Unity Committee collaborated with students to spend the MMA period drawing and writing positive messages on the sidewalks outside DAHS.

The event was primarily organized by DAHS representative for the District Unity Council, Alexandra Barzydlo. She has served as a facilitator on the High School Committee since the 2019-2020 school year and has represented Dover at the district level since the 2018-2019 school year. 

Through this event, Barzydlo and the Unity Committee hoped to provide students a time and a place to “acknowledge the strength that comes from valuing what everyone brings to the table.”

As for the student turnout, Barzydlo commented, “We saw a group of students who wanted to be there and participate in doing something great, and I’m very proud of the amount of student participation I saw.”

Barzydlo also acknowledged, however, the potential for growth regarding student participation. “I would love to see more students getting involved in general at DAHS, so part of my role as a teacher is to keep providing those opportunities and inviting students to join us.”

Sophomore participant Guinevere Bailey says, “I wanted to help spread a positive message, and if our work is able to help at least one person, I think it will have been a huge success.”

Ultimately, Barzydlo stated that her number one priority for the High School Unity Committee as of now is to help students understand that “we are here and we want to work alongside the student body. We want to continue making our school a more positive place for all of us, and I hope students will feel that they can reach out to myself or other teachers and administrators on the High School Unity Committee about their ideas.”