Old Senior Photos Don’t Help Support The Class Of 2020

Marissa Hoff, Staff Writer

The Class of 2020 is missing out on many things due to the Coronavirus, so the last thing they need is someone rubbing it in their faces. 

Along with everything else, the senior Class of 2020 is now missing out on their prom, graduation, and other festivities. There are many ways to help graduating seniors to feel better in this situation, but showing them exactly what they’re not going to experience is not one of those ways.

Many people all over social media that have graduated in past years have started posting their old senior photos as a tribute to the Class of 2020. The intention behind this new trend was to show that former graduating seniors (who didn’t have to deal with this) care about the seniors that are going through this pandemic. To be quite honest it does nothing but make their situation worse. 

All the photos are doing is showing the graduating seniors exactly what they won’t have because of the situation we are in right now. It’s not paying tribute to them, it’s just people taking a trip down memory lane to remember all of the adventures they had the opportunity to experience.

Many seniors were anticipating the events that were scheduled for them for years. All of the hard work that the Class of 2020 has put forward to be able to continue to experience was arguably the best and hardest part of their high school careers and has suddenly been taken away from them.

So, to post photos of yourself participating in one of the major milestones of life is very insensitive to those who aren’t given the chance to. If you truly want to help the Class of 2020, be mindful of what emotional situations these students are going through and understand that all they want to do is have a traditional ending just like the past years have offered to previous graduating classes.